Posts tagged small business marketing consulting
A business is a well oiled machine and it doesn’t work if all the parts aren’t working – I am sure someone said that or some version of it but here is what it really means: advertising and networking will get customers in the door, customer service will make them stay (or run away). Here is a story for you that may help with your small business marketing strategy:
(1) I move to a new city and need a new dentist
(2) I am not really sure exactly where to look … and I receive a ValPak coupon for a dentist near my house with a free teeth whitening (not really free but whatever)
(3) I make an appointment and arrive on time with my two girls too
(4) They are very disorganized, we are constantly moved around to different rooms, we are there for over two hours, I have my x-rays done and then they tell me I need to reschedule for a cleaning (what?!)
(5) I go to reschedule but ask the receptionist why and her answer – which by the way, I was still a customer at this point in spite of the treatment – “I told you that we didn’t have time to clean your teeth when you made the appointment.” And when I said, “I don’t remember that conversation or I wouldn’t have made the appointment,” the response was “Well I told you that so it is your fault”
Interesting customer service stand point. So now I have a choice remain a customer or leave- and by the way, I am a very diplomatic customer. I don’t typically get overheated or start yelling.
I chose to leave.
I called later and cancelled all future appointments (the receptionist proceeded to argue with me about whether this is my fault and I mentioned to her that I am not on the phone to argue but to cancel the appointments.”)
I then went and found a dentist near my gym with an “accepting new patients” sign out front, a very nice, personable receptionist and they are now getting all my dental money (and I can be vain, so I pay for things like teeth whitening and other money makers.)
Bottom Line here is really a business marketing strategy lesson: This dentist spent lots of money to advertise on Valpak and really in vain. A better marketing strategy would be to advertise in Valpak and set up consistent marketing training with your staff (the face of your business).
Alison Elliott is a Marketing Expert and founder of Corner Your Market Global Marketing. To get these tips along with tips on SEO for Small Business, Social Media Marketing for Small Business, Unique, Interesting and Great Marketing Ideas for Small Business , Help Creating Online Marketing Plans for Small Businesses, and Businesses and Software to help Market your Small Business online , you can sign up to our small business marketing e-guide here.
Hello. I am Alison Elliott from CYM Global and this is my blog specifically targeted to small business marketing ideas. The purpose of this blog is to help small business owners and solopreneurs discover ideas that will help in successfully marketing your small business with online marketing ideas and tips. I hope this blog will help you and give you everything you need. If you are looking for some custom help, you can read more about our MarketMe Platinum small business consulting services.
All small business owners can use help discovering online marketing ideas to keep their business fresh. You can follow along with me here.